Monday, March 30, 2009

When Someone's Wishes Come True

Today, a travelling musician came to our court today, and played a very melancholy tune. He said he learnt it while on his travels to the Far East, and played it here, translated in Italian, for us. As the lyrics recount, we become more selfish the more we wish for happiness. Everyone's wishes cannot be granted at once.

Just as Romeo and Juliet wished to be forever in each others arms, and the Capulet wished for the happy marriage of Paris and Juliet, and I wished for the end of the Capulet-Montague feud, not everyone's wishes was granted. As selfless my wish, it became domineering, and my sole purpose for the past several days. Today, my wish was granted, with dreadful consequences. Romeo, Juliet, and Paris died, for the sake of Verona. As the Montagues and Capulets were streaming tears profusely down their faces, my heart was simultaneously broken into a million peaces and sealed back together.

Although the Montagues and Capulets have bonded, and the city may sleep at peace again, I will not rest yet, for never was a story of more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment