Monday, March 30, 2009

My Favourite Things

Throughout my travels across Italy, and in fact, the world (and time), I have found many wonders of the world that have been overlooked. For the interests of my citizens and loyal following, I have compiled them here.

1. Utada Hikaru-Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro (When Someone's Wishes Comes True)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll1oJ63xhWI
English Translation: http://www.animelyrics.com/jpop/utada/darekanonegai.htm

Written and performed by a truly amazing musician with an uncanny knack for connection, this song accurately describes my sentiments, particularly in regards to Romeo and Juliet's love. Describing a relationship where everyone cannot have the person they want, this is extremely reflective of the roles and wants of Romeo and Juliet as lovers and as Capulets or Montagues. The beautiful, nostalgic black and white scheme of the performance perfectly fit with my memories of that fateful night.

2. Socrates

The Greek philosopher is truly one of my greatest heroes. His world-renowned theories are astounding, but to me, his analytical process and view of philosopher-lead government are the most important. The presence and usage of logic is extremely important to me, an ideal that I have been bred to learn, study, and adopt since birth. Although I still require much more work in this respect, I believe Socratic analysis should be the basis for good government.

3. Julius Caesar

I truly consider Caesar to be one of the greatest statesman the world has ever known, or will know. His military prowess is unmatched, as proven by his triumphs at Pharsalus and with Alesia. Although I am just a ruler of a small city-state, I do have grand dreams, and hope of uniting all of Italy. Caesar's most well-known accomplishment would undoubtedly be the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire, just as I hope mine would be the transformation of Verona into the most well-off city, and perhaps country, in the world.

4. Leonardo da Vinci

Known as the archetypical Italian Renaissance man, Leonardo da Vinci is truly superhuman. His powers of invention, curiosity, and unendingly creative mind set him apart from mere mortals, and simply demand respect. Just like any member of the upper class, I am a patron of the arts, and da Vinci is, in my opinion, the best painter ever to live on the planet.

5. Mahatma Gandhi

Throughout my life, the importance of peace, justice, and co-existence has been impressed upon me. I have tried, in every step of my rule as prince of Verona, to incorporate such eliments into my work. None other than Mahatma Gandhi has been my guiding vision. His integrity and endless commitment to peace and justic through nonviolence is a trait that all should embody (especially the Capulets and Montagues).

No comments:

Post a Comment