Monday, March 30, 2009

Devil Inside

On some days, I truly wonder if the devil resides in our city. Must our city, our beloveds, our citizens, and our kin suffer as the evil one wrecks havoc upon us?

As all are aware in this city, two beautiful sons of our city have been murdered, one has been banished, and the entire city is weeping. My dear cousin, Mercutio, has died at the hands of Tybalt, a Montague. Romeo has avenged my dear cousin Mercutio, yet he must suffer exactly for that. As family, I would congratulate and thank Romeo for his efforts, and denounce Tybalt and the Capulets. Yet, as the prince of Verona, I cannot do so. I must be fair and just, and punish those who disobey the law of Verona.

Nevertheless, I cannot do so. I cannot bear to see more lives killed. I cannot bear to see dear friends depart, and I cannot bear to destroy true love. Yet, as the lawbringer, the need for order in city comes first, and Romeo cannot stay. I have amerced the two families with so strong a fine, that you shall all repent the loss of mine, for mercy but murders, pardoning those that kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment